2004-05-22

Cannie Chameleon

Okay, I had a very complicated system to determine which books I was going to read in my spare time. As that time became very sparse this last semester, and some books, traveling books, were becoming rather urgent, I've had to reprioritize my TBR stacks (four of them) into one, with overdue bookrings at the top.

I got the Krakauer book out the door a couple of weeks ago. Next up was Jennifer Weiner's Good in Bed, which, I guess, has really fired up the whole American "chick-lit" scene. One thing I like about Weiner is her eagerness to embrace her genre label, and stand up for it. Check out her blog, SnarkSpot, for a spirited takedown of Erica Jong's sidewise glance at "chick-lit."

While I enjoyed Good in Bed, it was one of the few books where I wished for a bit more depth in the male characters. They fall into the demon/saint category. Of course, Dr. K sees past Cannie's snarky facade to see her inner wonderfulness, but I guess I can't see why her did made his choices. I was expecting something from that storyline, and all I got was an explanation for Cannie's emotional neediness. I don't want to be the kind of father that Cannie had, so I was hoping for some sort of insight, besides "Don't be a jerk", into why Jennifer Weiner thinks a guy would abandon one set of kids to create a new batch. Eh. Oh well. Not like I was going to get everything tied up in a nice wrapped package.

Still, I gave it a "Really Good" at AlexLit. And the book is off to New Hampshire, and I'm off to the next book in the stack.

No comments: